Similar to the way that all food is better with bacon, most meat is better when it’s country-fried. Bear liver is no exception. Breaded, pan-fried bear liver is a downright delicacy for anyone who loves to get the most out of their bruin. The key is having the right ingredients. When it comes to acquiring your bear liver, we’ll leave that up to you, but here’s how to cook it to country-fried perfection.
(Note: Yes, you can freeze your bear liver, thaw it out, and still pull this recipe off without a hitch. In fact, you probably should, as it helps.)
2 lbs of bear liver
1 ¾ flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp cayenne
1 tsp salt
1 ¾ cup buttermilk
2 tsp hot sauce
3 garlic cloves
3 cup oil
4 cups milk
¼ cup flour
1. Cut liver into thin pieces, about ¼” thick.
2. In shallow bowl, mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, pepper and cayenne.
3. Stir in buttermilk, hot sauce, egg and garlic.
4. Place oil in pot and heat to 325 degrees.
5. Pour ¼ cup of flour onto a plate. Add dashes of salt and pepper.
6. Flour the liver, then dip liver pieces in buttermilk mix. Then, dip the pieces in flour again. Cook on a pan for three minutes on each side.
7. For the gravy, use ¼ cup of the oil and remaining flour. Heat and pour on top of liver.
Best served with mashed potatoes and salad.