Fire is one of the most fearsome and deadly calamities that can strike a home. Losing your home to one is a scary thought, but there are always many things you can do to stop it before it even starts.
After talking about how to survive a house fire in our previous article, we have gathered some tips on how you can avoid them. As always, it’s better to be safe than sorry. Read on to know more!
Test Your Smoke Alarms
If a fire breaks and your smoke detectors can’t do their job, tragedy may occur since you won’t be notified that there is a need to evacuate. Properly maintain your smoke alarms by testing batteries once a month. There is a little button on it that you can press to test it. If it beeps weakly, then you need to change the batteries ASAP. It’s easy to forget such regular maintenance, but it’s worth setting a reminder in your smartphone’s calendar to help you get it done.
Check The Wiring and Outlets in Every Room
Faulty wirings are one of the top causes of house fires. Do the following:
- Do not pinch or cover electrical cords with items like rugs
- Check the electrical cords throughout your home for signs of fraying, and replace all frayed wires.
- Beware of your home’s electrical system’s capacity. Overloading your circuits may cause accidents, so consult a licensed electrician first.
- Remember that there is a difference between surge protectors and power strips. The two can let you plug in many electronic devices, but the surge protector is the only one that can protect these devices from a power spike. Use surge protectors to protect valuable electronic devices, such as computers and televisions
Check the Dryer
Your dryer needs to be checked yearly. Clean out your lint trap every time you put in a new load of laundry and check behind the machine to make sure lint or little clothing items like socks didn’t manage to get back there.
Monitor Heating Sources
Have your heating sources checked annually and ensure that the air filters are always cleaned. If you have a space heater, make sure it is positioned away from flammable objects.
Keep Your Stove and Oven Clear
Carelessness in the kitchen also causes house fires. Take note of the following:
- Never leave your pots or pans unattended.
- Have a kitchen fire extinguisher and make sure you know how to use it.
- Keep your stove and oven clean. Built-up food splatter or grease can later ignite when the stove or oven is turned on for cooking.
- Don’t leave a cookbook or a dishtowel on a hot burner.
- Don’t let kitchen curtains hang close to the stove.
Properly Store Flammable Products
Many household cleaners and cosmetic products like shaving cream and hair spray are flammable. Keep these items away from heat and exposure to sunlight. Place them in a cool, dark cupboard for flammable products and make sure all family members know where they go.
Paint and gasoline should be in their original containers. Paints should be stored upside-down to create a seal. If a container develops a crack or leak, transfer its contents into a new container made of the same material as the original.
Clean Your Chimneys
Have your chimney inspected by a Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA)-certified chimney sweep. Have professionals clean it as well.
Remember to use seasoned wood only, and never damp wood. Cardboard boxes, wrapping papers, trash, or tres are also not recommended to be burned in your fireplace.