When sh** hits the fan, the first thing on everyone’s mind must be where the perfect place for a survival retreat is. Before we share with you the answer, it’s vital to understand that there is no such thing as a perfect place when an SHTF event occurs. There may be a lot of places that are better than some, but the perfect location still depends on what the situation needs.
Continue reading to know everything you need to prepare for when SHTF and where the most ideal places to move in are.
Before Deciding to Move
Don’t be too quick to decide that you should move ut during a survival situation. Always weigh the risks and benefits first and consider your personal “worst-case scenario”. But generally, you’ll probably have a better chance of surviving and even reaching old age if you stay in the suburbs instead of the city.
Deciding where to move is not an exact science. No matter how thorough your plan is, you can never be sure of what will happen and where you will truly be safe. At least you can sleep well knowing that you’ll have a higher chance of surviving when you move.
You also have to know all the factors you need to consider when moving to a new place. Take into account the climate, water availability, technology, homeschooling laws, birth laws, and many more. The factors, in reality, will depend on your age, interests, and your independence from the system.
What are the possible threats? This is also one question preppers ask themselves when readying for an SHTF event before knowing where to move. Make sure you’ll be protected from natural disasters or nuclear wars, and even EMPs and other devastating cosmic events. There are tons of situations that may happen that causes many to be anxious and always prepared.
The truth is, there’s no way you can completely be prepared for every single type of SHTF situation. That is why many people choose one or several events they believe to happen soon in order to prepare as best as they can.
States to Go to When SHTF
If you’re planning to stay in the USA, the following data describes Western states that may be ideal to move in. Easter states are intentionally excluded from the list because they are either downwind of nuclear targets or have excessive population density.
- New Mexico
- South Dakota
- North Dakota
The Safest Places to Go to Outside of USA
For those Americans wishing to relocate internationally as a way to survive a potential SHTF situation, here are ten ideal countries or islands you may consider
- Folkland Islands
- New Zealand
- Costa Rica
- French Polynesia
- Czech Republic
Places to Avoid When Sh** Hits the Fan
Whether you’ll move inside or outside of the United States, here are some of the places you should avoid
- Main Roads. Keep in mind that main roads and busy intersections in your area will quickly become overwhelmed with people trying to move out just like what you’re doing.
- Hospitals. Hospitals are where most people, especially those who are injured, flock. Maybe even people who aren’t injured may head to the hospitals to get help for members who have been injured. Additionally, this place will be high in emotions and violence is a possibility for those who might lose control.
- Downtown. Downtowns should be avoided especially in mid to large cities where the lack of regular sanitation services will create ideals conditions for diseases. You are also more susceptible to rioting, looting, and violent attacks in downtown areas. People in the city are less prepared for an SHTF situation since many families live paycheck to paycheck with very little stockpiled supplies and are used to the fast-paced lifestyle.
- Police stations. Along with military bases, police stations are the most secure buildings. Despite being heavily guarded, they still won’t open their doors for mass numbers of people who show up. The crowd outside will be frustrated and angry, so don’t step in such an area with your BOB of supplies, food, water, and other needs.
- Grocery stores. Many people will head to their local supermarkets and shopping plazas and begin getting supplies. Chances are, these stores will be empty clean in just less than a day when sh** hits the fan. Those who come in late will be so desperate and scared that they might show unpredictably violent behaviors.
Other Tips During an SHTF Event
Here are other tips to consider aside from planning where to go during an SHTF event:
- Learn all about the current situation. What this means is that you should shape your environment from all the knowledge you gathered about what is going one. Remember to get in touch with your neighbors not only for updates and news but also for neighborhood security and augmenting the skills which you do not have yet.
- Gather your gear and people. Always have your BOB (bug out bag) ready and make sure not to be like other preppers with 70 pounds of gear! You also need to know everyone you’re traveling with and make sure you’re complete.
- Establish some communication plans. Make sure you have more than one way to communicate with your team. As much as possible, these should not be electronics-dependent, but ham radio is the most reliable technology for SHTF events. Also, make sure you have a predetermined location that everyone knows.
- Establish security. Try to set up some defenses and improve them regularly. Figure out who will stay and what their skills and abilities are for task delegation and trust-building.
Hope for the Best but Prepare for the Worst
Always imagine the worst-case scenario. As mentioned earlier, you can never be prepared for all possible SHTF events, but try nevertheless. If you choose to bug out, you can be on the other side of the globe or just stay in a suburb state.
Along with knowing where to stay during a survival situation comes preparing your family with survival skills and gear which you should plan and practice regularly in hopes of staying safe and alive in the years ahead.